Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Cage Bird Sings Inspired Poem

Colin Harper

Caged Bird Sings Inspired Poem

I know why I try so hard.
I know it is so that I can win.
I don't know why it is important that I win.
I don't know why the American Dream is based upon success.
I sing of a place where success isn't measured in wins or losses.
I sing of a place where success is measured by improvement, and by learning.
I sing for a reinvention of the American Dream.
I sing for a re-evaluation of success.
I know why other people sing.
I know, also, why I sing.

1 comment:

  1. I think that line "I don't know why it is important that I win" is really interesting...But I like what you're suggesting about it being the American way to have drive and to seek success, for better and for worse.

    ReplyDelete