Friday, March 18, 2016

Artist Piece Inspired Poems

Colin Harper

Three men from three different walks of life came together one night.
Each one had their own story, their own hardships.
They each had their own victories, and their own defeats. 
On that night, however, they were one.
They came together, and they played beautiful music into the air.
One man played the flute, and it whispered a light melody into existence.
Another struck a guitar, creating a cavernous noise that rang through their extremity.
The third man sang, his voice bringing life into the music.
No matter the differences the men had, they were in harmony while they played.
When the music was over, they each went their separate ways.
However, they each took a piece of each other as they went.


I had never seen a more solemn man in my entire life. I was driving down the road, on my way home from work when I saw a man sitting on the side of the road. He was in black and tattered clothes, and wielding a guitar. The man was bald, and he looked even more morose in the blue tinted atmosphere. I asked myself what had happened to him. Surely a tragedy had taken place in this man's life. I have seen people devastated after the death of a loved one, or struck with sadness after failing in an endeavor, but never had I seen sadness of this magnitude. Whatever had happened to this man, I prayed would never happen to me. I kept driving, and wondered if I should have stopped to speak to the man. Probably not, I thought to myself, as I would not want to get caught up in his melancholy business. Surely his feeling would rub off on me, and I was not ready to behold that extreme of an emotion. 

1 comment:

  1. These are both interesting and could almost be tied together somehow. I like what you said about the musicians taking a piece of one another when they split up, and I like the word "morose" to describe the blue guitar piece. Also the line, "Whatever had happened to this man, I prayed would never happen to me."

    ReplyDelete