Friday, January 8, 2016

I am- Colin Harper

I Am

I am an infant child, born upside down and with a black eye.

I am a young boy, eating cereal while watching Saturday morning cartoons.

I am a teenager, finding his place in the world.

I am a pair of all black wrestling shoes, stepping up onto a soft mat.

I am the sound of a jump rope, methodically smacking the ground.

I am a pair of boxing gloves, hitting their target.

I am an acoustic guitar, making sounds of inspiration.

I am a songwriter, writing words I cannot create around others.

I am loud music, blaring far past the doors of my room.

I am afraid, always nervous of my performances.

I am a thinker, both logically and creatively.

I am different, different than both my family and my friends.

I am unique, I fall under no stereotypes.

I am an enigma, and I plan to stay that way.

I am a backyard guitar session under the stars, pondering existence and all that it means.

I am myself, and no one else.

I am Colin Harper.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Colin! I love the way you started with the stages in your life and how you accentuated your individuality throughout your piece. I really like the lines about playing guitar outside and what you said about planning to remain a bit of a mystery and true to yourself. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete